At Queck & Associates, we're always looking for motivated people who possess a sense of commitment and pride.
We are seeking an associate lawyer with 2-5 years experience in either Family Law, Wills & Estate Law. Experience in other areas is an added bonus.
The successful candidate should have excellent client, courtroom, and document management skills, as well as understanding of billing procedures, practices, and policies within a Family Law setting.
The successful candidate would have the benefit of working at a highly regarded and well-known family firm with direct mentorship available throughout their tenure at the firm. This is something we pride ourselves on and look to help our team grow and thrive in all aspects of litigation and advocacy.
If you are looking to join a team of Family Lawyers, have interest in other areas of law, and want to learn from experienced lawyers, please feel free to reach out and apply for a position.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
- Extended Health Benefits (Sunlife)
- Ability to work remotely
- Company events/team building
- On-site parking
- Monday to Friday
- 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
- Law Degree from an accredited post-secondary institution
- Licence to practice Law in Alberta - Lawyer in good standing
- Legal experience of two (2) years of more
- Evaluate and action client matters in a timely and appropriate manner.
- Work diligently and in good faith on behalf of clients (both those of the particular lawyer and
the firm in general).
- Provide appropriate and accurate legal advice to clients.
- Provide competent and efficient service to clients, including communicating with clients/others and handling matters in a timely manner.
- Work on your own and with legal administrative staff to prepare and draft required legal
- Work with legal administrative staff to complete billing of client files monthly or as necessary.
- Work a minimum of 1200 billable hours annually.
- Follow firm policies and procedures.
- Maintain a respectful and collegial relationship with all levels of Court and other counsel.
- Follow all expected guidelines for Conduct as outlined by the Courts and the Law Society and maintain your Law Society of Alberta membership in good standing.
- Priority Setting and Time Management – Able to effectively balance resources and establish
priorities and manage deadlines.
- Self-Motivating – Can work diligently either in an office setting or remotely when required.
- File Management – Able to effectively strategize and move a file towards completion as well as handle multiple ongoing matters with ease.
- Client Management – Establish and maintain supportive and valuable solicitor-client relationships and manage client expectations.
- Communication (inter-office) – Able to provide effective and clear instructions to administrative staff to accomplish tasks (either verbally or in writing).
- Communication – Able to communicate effectively in writing, or verbally, to other counsel and to the Court on behalf of clients.
- Interpersonal Relations – Establish and maintain constructive and effective relationships with other team members within the firm and also with those outside the firm.
- Technology – comfortable working with Microsoft Office Suite, video conferencing technology, and accounting software for lawyers (PC Law experience is an asset).
We are seeking an experienced paralegal or legal assistant to join our team to providing legal and administrative support to lawyers with a primary focus in family law. A capacity for civil litigation, Estate planning/administration, and real estate law would also be an asset. Working closely with
lawyers and other support staff members, you will provide legal support while maintaining client files, organizing and tracking documentation, and performing other legal tasks for the organization.
- Compose routine memos, correspondence, demand letters, draft pleading and settlement agreements, and responses to matters dealing with legal content requiring considerable discretion and judgment.
- Prepare and maintain trial books, briefs, factums, disclosures, pleadings, transcripts, exhibits, affidavits, undertakings, collate materials and provide copies of case law documents.
- Prepare and register CLPs, draft caveats, conduct land title searches and register documents with Land Titles.
- Answer client/lawyer telephone calls and provide assistance coordinating client files, all incoming emails and faxes addressed to the lawyer.
- Arrange client appointments, schedule meetings, arbitration hearings and mediations; meeting room bookings, follow-up on client billing and account balance matters.
- Maintain and enter lawyer’s time and client account activity utilizing the Firm’s accounting and time gathering systems.
- Complete client/matter file openings, file set-up and maintenance, file retrieval and closure as requested by the lawyer.
- Other tasks as required.
Successful completion of a legal assistant/paralegal program or relevant experience
- Two or more years’ experience with family law
- High proficiency working with MS Office 365 Suite, Adobe Pro, PCLaw, and other resources
commonly used by the legal profession.
- Ability to organize and prioritize work, handle multiple assignments and work in a fast paced, high volume, deadlines driven environment.
- Keen attention to detail and committed to producing accurate and high-quality work.
- Ability to work well with clients experiencing sensitive/difficult circumstances and handle
confidential information in an ethical and professional manner.
- Highly reliable, able to work independently and be a team player.
- Legal Assistant/Paralegal certificate and/or university degree from an accredited institution is preferred
- 2+ years’ experience working as a Legal Assistant or Paralegal is an asset
- Exceptional drafting and proofreading skills.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Familiarity with PCLaw, Outlook, and all other Microsoft programs
- Extended Health & Dental Benefits (Sunlife)
- Company events/team building
- On-site parking
- Monday to Friday
- 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. (one-hour noon lunch allocation)
Why Work with Us?
Queck & Associates is made up of diverse individuals with a variety of personalities who all share the desire for a balanced work life.
We strive to cultivate a more positive, comfortable atmosphere for all through the facilitation and encouragement of positive day-to-day practices and social interactions.
Our management team understands that life happens. Within our workplace model, we offer accessibility to our employees by working to accommodate the schedules and personal priorities of our people. We even allow staff to bring their pets to work!
Together, the individuals within our office have significant accumulated experience & knowledge. We are available to offer feedback and provide advice to help balance out the stress and burden of your legal career.
Our Application and Recruitment Process.
Application & Review
Select "Apply Now" to submit your Cover Letter and Resume. All inquiries and submissions will be kept in the strictest confidence.
Interview and Hiring
Our Management Team will screen all applications, and potential candidates will be contacted for an interview.
Offering and Onboarding
Successful candidates will receive a formal employment offer from our office upon completion of the interview process and applicable reference checks.
Ready to make your mark?
Your aspirations and initiatives make Queck & Associates better. We have the opportunities to help support you on your career journey.